4/12/2010

Mocca Fest Weekend


This weekend rocked proverbial socks. So many great artists and writers in one room without the mainstream NYComic Con feel. But you knew that already.... but if you didn't, like meeeeee....

This was the first time I've been to the Mocca Fest (Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art's annual Festival of sellers and presenters) and I was very satisfied. Returning back with the spoils of war: I bought zee frenchman, Joann Sfar's Vampire Loves and the Dungeon Vol.1 (with Lewis Trondheim) and Badasses from Mark Todd (it includes everyone from Miss Piggy to Spike from Gremlins). I met Alex Robinson who created Boxoffice Poison, Scott Campbell from Double Fine (Psychonauts and Brutal Legend), and Lucy Kinsley (I love her sweet online coomics).


SVA had a table, Pratt had a table, and there, lo and behold, RISD had a table too, and the Elder Gods were happy. RISD table apparently couldn't get money for funding from its CHEAP illustration department, so it was entirely student run! Hats off to the students for taking responsibility... this isn't the first time, believe me. I finally met Steven Sugar (goin' ta RISD now) who was presenting his Rocky Albatross comic and other noble illustration majors presenting their wears.... gotta update (still sorting through snippets of memories of the people I met).

My friend, Jack Turnbull was also selling his new 4 issue action epic: The Invasive Exotics which I got (sharing it amongst roommates, reading currently... will return) Cover is totally psychedelic, with all these awesome neon screen-printed abstract patterns.... it emanates a sort of musical synesthesia at first.

Update: Jack's Invasive Exotics comics are pretty intense, but because of what I see in it, and I don't think I'm crossing any boundaries by reading between the lines. He weaves from experience (veiled beneath an intricate plot about Williamsburg gentrification by a madman and his giant ants), drawing upon his time living New York after college, both the good times and the bad times. The people he looked upon with respect and the people he looked upon with disdain are morphed into the heros and villains ultimately, but this makes for an incredibly diverse cast of characters.

4 comments:

Heather Kellie MacDonald said...

sweeeet! You met Box Office Poison author, Alex Robinson... jealous :)

Brian Elig said...

You totally should have been there!

Ian said...

I wish I new about this. I would have gone. :(

Brian Elig said...

maybe next time... sorry man