3/23/2009

NYC Anime Festival

Went to it last year with press pass. Failed to go until Sunday and regretted it. It was a slushy December and I met up with coworkers. I missed a lot of the "interesting" stuff on Friday and Saturday.
Now, it's Sept. 2008 and I'm going by myself. I go immediately after work. After a 1.4mi trek to the Javitz Center, I discover the booths have closed, but the panels and screening rooms are still open. There's tons of cosplayers. I dunno, but my obsession with cosplayers has grown since coming to NYC. Mind you, I don't dress up. I can't. That's not the way it works for me. This is a fetish. Why? It's an exotic. Exotics are in, they always were. The more exotic, the more beautiful, the more alluring, the more dangerous. Why dangerous? Cosplay falls into a category of exotics linked with neurosis. There's no harm in escapism as long as it recognizes the boundaries and rules of the reality that surrounds it. (Sure, you may be Superman and dress up like him, but when you climb that 8 story building and jump off expecting to fly, you're gonna end up flatter than a potato pancake; and I don't think that's applesauce on the sidewalk). Therefore, cosplay is sort of like testing water to gauge it's temperature. It's also an experiment in societal behaviour. I believe that such a massive scale interest in cosplay would not be possible if it weren't for modern and sophisticated forms of communication. (You're calling all your friends to test the water too, and if it's okay, maybe even climb in for a dip). But then, far off at the end of the pool are those people who've been in too long. They're mutated and deformed from too much exposure, too much of a good thing, too much of a bad thing; they've entered an unbalanced state that has climbed into extremes. Like deep sea fishes with lure to mesmerize, some mean to prey upon those who draw close. Others are kind and caring, but the danger lies for them. A mermaid cannot survive on dry land for very long. They'll die.

No comments: